Saturday, February 19, 2011

One Small Step For Man - Technology - Genea bloggers

This challenge runs from Saturday, February 19, 2011 through Friday, February 25, 2011.
Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog ( has yet another successful series on her hands: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History

Week 8: Technology.
What are some of the technological advances that happened during your childhood? What types of technology to you enjoy using today, and which do you avoid

Sissy writes:
I would say our parents and grandparents got the best improvements and technology. Milk in cartons from glass bottles, homemade bread to sliced bread in the store. Plowing with horses to tractors. Buggies to Cars. Air balloons to airplanes.

Air planes to space crafts flying to the moon.

I know technology has advanced so much more past space craft flying to the moon. But still the event of the moon walk was extra special for me to observe on television through their relay as the walk happened.

"On July 20 (July 21 GMT), 1969, American astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the Moon. As he stepped onto the Moon's surface, in the Sea of Tranquility, Armstrong uttered the now-famous words: "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind."
1969 was a year after my graduation. I was home for the summer from college. It happened that I had to babysit that day, I was determined not to miss it. I saw it alone as I sat on the Reeds couch. I was on edge wondering if monsters would jump out and devour them, while I watched. It was such a relief. Such a feeling of pride with that relief, rushed over me to see such a feat accomplished.
It's hard to believe some people thought it was a staged event, but then some people believed Elvis, JFK and probably Michel Jackson, and Marlyn Manroe lived and were not dead. Even with technology testimonial, we have to use more technology to prove to sceptics. That is the way of the world
I am not a huge fan of science fiction, though I enjoyed several Old films like Buck Rodgers, Star Wars. I suppose I would like more of them, but I don't care to be scared by some horrible beast, who might evade my dreams some night. I do like to hear of the advance and what is going on as far as advancement of our space technology. As each dream becomes explored and realized it just adds to my faith in god and my fellow man and the possibility of human survival.

Dreams and Possibilites have to be remain open. As well as man kinds minds. Education in the highest degree must remain intact. Trust in the good and all hopefully will prevail with hard work at it all.

Yes, I agree with Sissy it is fantastic as a baby boomer to see many other events which came after it.

Sources : For the art :

Free clip Arts:
The Graphics Fairy;
Magic Moonlight Free Images;
The Vintage Moth;
Carol Anne's Boutique